Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Teagan has Arrived!

Teagan and Daddy
Resting peacfully.

Here we are right after I had him. Still so surreal!

So here are a few pictures of us. I know everyone has been waiting to see some pictures, and we'll try to post more later.
For those who don't know what is going on here is the story: Monday night James and I were watching a show and I was about to get up to go off to bed when this weird shakiness went on inside me. I grabbed hold of James and said that It felt like Teagan has a seizure inside me, and then right after finishing the sentence I felt this warm sensation coming out of me. I said to James "Oh my god, my water just broke!" (however this is the PG version, I said that in a lot more colorful words...) Because we had been going to birthing class we knew what to do, we checked to see what time it was,how much fluid came out, if the fluid was clear or not, and if there was an odor to it. The class teaches you to use the acronym "COAT"c-color, o-odor, a-amount, t-time. I was able to make it to the bathroom while James was in a frenzy trying to get a bag together, seeing how I was only 34wks along. I called the hospital and the told us that we needed to come in right away. My water broke at 9:30pm and we were at the hospital by 10pm. I was checked in an the nurses check me to see if my water did in deed break or if I had just peed.....that happens apparently. However, this defiantly was not pee!!! Because we live in a rural area and have a smaller hospital, they do not keep anyone who is less than 35 wks along. I was 34 wks and about 4dys. So I had to be transported by ambulance to Portland, 2hrs away! This was very interesting, seeing how I have never been the patient in the back of the ambulance, the role reversal was strange. I arrived in Portland around 3am, James and my dad's girlfriend, followed the ambulance in my car. Once we arrived I was checked out and messed around with until 5am. I was having contractions, but was not feeling them. The staff wanted to give me Potosin to bring on the labor, and I said that I waned to be able to rest for a while seeing how I hadn't gone to sleep and had been at school the whole day. They said that they would hold off until 8am. James and I went to sleep around 5:30am and by 6:30am I could start feeling my contractions. By 7:30am I could not sleep due to the heavy contractions that woke me up and I had to breath through them. I got James up and told him to get in the shower fast, and to go get the nurse and tell them something is going on, and that I don not need the Potosin, I did it myself! By 8am I was back on the monitor, got checked, I was at a 4cm, my family was called, and we got the show on the road. By 9-9:30am I was rechecked and was at a 6. I then had the epidural, "magical" this stuff was great!!!!! I was given a kind where I could control how much I was getting, so that was nice. I was given the first dose by the anesthesiologist, and I only pushed the button once after the initial dose. I was able to then finally sleep for a good hour or so.
The nurse came and woke me up and wanted to check me to see where I was and when she did that I was at 10cm! Yikes, is this really happening!!! The nurse went and got the doctor and we began to get all ready. We had my mom, dad, and Sheryl in the room. Sheryl took over 300 pictures, and James was right by my side. It was a little difficult to push because I was numb from mid waist down, so they actually turned off the Potosin. I only pushed for 30min-45min, and at 1:31pm Teagan Alan Sullivan entered the world! He cryed right away which was a great sign! We not only had my family in the room but two doctors, a NICU team and my OB nurses. The doctor cut the cord and held him up for us to see him and they whisked him away. I was a little disappointed that James couldn't cut the cord but they had to make sure he ok. James stayed with me until I delivered the placenta and then went to be by Teagan's side. He was born at 1:31pm weighs 5lbs 13oz, and is 19 3/4inches long!
He was taken into the NICU, and was later moved to a not so critical side, so that is great! He has a feeding tube, but as no oxygen or IV's. He is continuing to improve. We are all doing well.
I will give you updates as I can. I am going to be released tomorrow. (Thursday) Teagan will have to stay for a little longer.


  1. Laurel, I loved reading the whole story again. I'm so glad Teagan is doing so well. I'm keeping you all in my prayers and can't wait to see more pictures!

  2. Nice post, Laurel, like you have nothing else to do :) But I loved it. I feel so honored to have been there. You guys were great, and he is a totally awesome baby. I can't wait to see him again. Too bad he chose to come while I'm at my busiest time of year. It's been crazy here or I would have been there today, but you seem to be managing on your own :) I wouldn't have missed his arrival for anything, and I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again soon. I forgot to check your blog or I would have written sooner. I have so many blogs that I didn't see the "Following" thing at the bottom. I'll have to remember to scroll down! Nice photos, James, keep 'em coming! It's funny, in my blog post from the day we went into Portland to pick up your dad, I wrote that Teagan was with us. I didn't know how right I was. That little guy was about ready to come out and nobody knew it!

    Love to you all,


  3. Laurel, I was thinking about you and glad to hear that everything went good and you and Teagan are bothe doing well. Love the pics. he is so precious. Enjoy this time, it goes by quick. Hope you have a safe trip home.

  4. Laurel,
    I'm so thankful things are going so well with you and baby Teagan! What a surprise to the end of your pregnancy. I hope things continue to go well.
    Love, Addie

  5. Congrats again Laurel and James. Can't wait to meet Teagan. Love you!!! The Connaways